Skip to main content

PRACTICE ---- Day 338




 
So after breakfast she sits at the piano and begins to play.  She plays a song that I taught her and if I close my eyes I can see myself as a child playing the same song.  She has gotten so good at this song that she could play it with her eyes closed.  She knows where each finger goes…where each note is…and what notes come next.  What she once struggled with or messed up on the melody…she now knows like the back of her hand.  Practice…this is what it does.  It makes us better and more comfortable with whatever we are practicing on.

I’m practicing my prayer life with God because I want to be in His presence and to be more like Him.  I’m practicing how to walk with God daily.  I want to know Him and know when He is speaking to me.  I want to run to Him when there is a problem instead of running my mouth or thinking I can fix it.  I want to pause instead of jump. I want to be able to close my eyes and lean into Him as easy as breath comes into my lungs.  SO…in order to change I need to practice.  




“We cannot trust who we do not know.” ~Wendy Blight


To practice all of this – to practice walking with God daily – requires being present in His presence.  It requires me to open my hands and let go of control.  It requires me to trust in Him and to see the world through Kingdom Eyes. 

We lit the first Advent candle this past Sunday…the Hope candle.  Lighting the candle brings a beautiful light into our home.  Jesus is our constant light and when I practice being in His presence – no matter when that candle is blown out – the light still shines. 

There is a lot of darkness in this world and it could use a bit more twinkle.  One of the things I love about this season…are all of the Christmas lights…the twinkle…spread all over the world.  If only we could keep the lights shining all year long.  In order to shine the light…we need to know the Light of Him.  





So yeah…I’m practicing a lot these days.  Because I want the light to shine constantly in my home…my family…and everywhere.  Practicing His presence, the present moment, and leaning in to His gift…Jesus.




“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.” Matt. 5:16 (MSG) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati

Changed and Transformed ------ Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

It’s the day after Easter.   The kids are beginning to stir and wake.   I can hear them coughing and sneezing- allergies.   A new season is being born…beautiful blooms of flowers and trees busting open causes my peeps to be miserable.   The day after Easter - the Resurrection - a new hope…a new life…a new being born…all because of God’s Son.   All because of Jesus .    Anxiety and fear are my natural default.   As a kid I had so much anxiety in me before school days.   When I was in elementary school I was so afraid of a math tutor that I would have to go see…that one day I just hid in the stairwell thinking that I would stay there until it was time to go back to class.   I even heard my name being called over the speaker but never left the stairwell.    Jesus knows my name.      I’ve grown up but other things try to steal my peace. I was broken and starving for real food. Starving for The Bread of Life . I began to open up God’s Word and really