Skip to main content

Who Do You Want Standing in Front of Your Gate?

 


Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Recently, I read on a blog…I believe it was Lisa-Jo Baker’s blog but could be mistaken.  (If anyone out there is reading this and knows…please tell me.) Anyway…she was writing about the gate to our hearts and that we can open the gate to let fear in or keep it closed.  That we had the choice.  I loved this and it could not have come at a more perfect time for me.  You see, I was getting ready to get in a car and drive to another state all by my little self.  And I was a tad bit afraid.  Every time (and there were a lot of times) a thought of “what if ________ happens?” came to mind, I would turn my thought process around with, “NOPE…eyes on Jesus Michelle!”
  


I started mentally picturing this “Gate” and in front on my gate was God.  He was standing there like a bodyguard.  When fear started to creep and slither around the corner…I had a choice.  I could keep my eyes on my bodyguard or I could stare and focus on that fear rising up. And fear is a lie. *and just so you know...fear is mentioned in the Bible 365 times.  That is one verse for each day of the year.  I think He knew we'd have issues. 

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18



God will stay in front of my gate as long as I want Him to.  If I tell Him to move…He will.  Because He gives us choices…we choose.  He doesn’t want me to look at that fear and become consumed and worried.  He wants me to focus on Him and remember that I was made in His image and that He resides in ME.  He gave me a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.  

That picture in my head is of God standing there and as my fear moves in…if I allow it to come in…God steps aside and my gate opens.  But if my eyes stay focused on Him and His love and promises…then it’s like His Superhero power kicks it to the curb and my gate stays closed.



I traveled to Asheville, NC…all by myself…and felt good about it.  I felt somewhat at peace. Not complete peace but I felt more confidence in me the day I was leaving than I did weeks leading up to it. I knew if a “what if” came in my head…I would turned it right around with “Faith over Fear!” 
 

  

My one word for this year was TRUST.  I had no idea how much this one word would be so important to me this year…but He did.  The year started out with my Mother being re-diagnosed with breast cancer.  Trust Me Michelle.  My husband traveling more…Trust Me,  Michelle.  My children….Trust Me, Michelle.  A new role for me…Trust Me, Michelle.  New school year…Trust Me, Michelle.  My next step for my God-dream…Trust Me, Michelle.  



Every.  Single. Day.  I have to put my trust in Him and thank Him for everything.  I am training myself to see His hand in everything….everything!  I have no idea how things will work out in any situation but I can trust that He knows.  I can trust that whatever happens…somehow He will turn it out for His good. 
 
Surrender it all and lean in to Him…and TRUST.  Who do you want standing in front of your gate?  I know for me…I don’t want the lies from the enemy…the fear, the anxiety – or whatever it is.  I want God standing there!
 
AND…I’m so glad that I didn’t let my fears stop me from going to the Proverbs 31 OBS Retreat.  God had some amazing people and things there for me…He knew I needed to go. 
 
Let Him stand in front of your gate, keep Him there, and let Him fight for you.  Focus on The Light and not the fear…not the lie.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati

Palms Up! { Day 220 }

This week, I started a new Bible study with Proverbs 31 on a book called “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” by Lysa TerKeurst….and I’m excited for this study.  Really Excited!!   I haven’t always said Yes to God…in fact I have ignored Him and said no to Him a lot in my life.  Makes me sad to think of how many times I have been blind to all He has for me or to all the times He has tried to lead me in a different direction.  Fear and lack of confidence have always held me back from saying YES to Him.  Sometimes I think that I know which path is better for me to take and sometimes I feel like I could do it better.  Ouch!  Or sometimes I just feel like its too scary and I don’t like change too much.  Lysa TerKeurst talks in her book, “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” about “Surprise Parties” and how it must break God’s heart when He has planned something for us and we are too tired to notice, too blind to see or we just don’t even care.  How many parties hav