Skip to main content

The Battle of Comfort




“Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity…” Hebrews 6:1 (NIV)



I love being comfortable and this verse sounds a little bit uncomfortable to me.  What I read in this scripture is, “let’s take you out of your comfort zone and move into a place of unfamiliarity -something a little less cozy.”

I can wake up and get out of my pj’s, into my workout clothes, and then into my yoga pants.  Jeans are dressing up for me.  I love to be comfortable.  So, when it’s time for me to step out into new territory…I get nervous and uncomfortable. I don’t like to be uncomfortable but God likes it.  He likes it when I get uncomfortable because that means I took a step forward. 


An opportunity came up and I immediately got excited!  YES…this is what I have wanted for three years now!! I took a step forward and then stopped.  I started to sweat, get nervous, think of all the reasons I should not do it, and immediately turned back towards my comfy zone.  What am I thinking…I can’t do it?  My safety zone is over here…it’s good here.  I don’t need to go there.  Over there looks - uncomfortable. But, at the same time – it is what I’ve wanted to do and after three times of filling out the paperwork only to delete it – I finally decided to hit send on the fourth time. 
 


He knows my heart and He knows this situation.  Remember – it’s something that I have wanted for 3 years.  I believe that God decides when we are ready – not when we feel like we are ready. Three years ago, maybe I wasn’t ready or prepared for the battle that would come. Because the enemy will try to interrupt and scare me before I get to where I need to go. But in spite of my fear – I’m ready to step out in faith.  In those three years I have grown more in my faith and in my relationship with God.  This has better prepared me for those interruptions that will come.

After I finished with the forms…I picked up my Bible and went to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and to sit with Him. I open up His word and He points me to Hebrews 6:1.  This is where I land - “Therefore, Michelle, let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity…” So I started to dig a little deeper…this verse had me cross reference to a few others and each one answering all of my questions and diminishing my doubts.  



“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. ~Phil 3:12-14 (NIV)
  


In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! ~Hebrews 5:12 (NIV)



Verse after verse is conformation of what I need to do and more importantly, do what He wants me to do.  I know that the enemy is going to bring fear to try and stop me but I also know that God is with me and if I stay in His Word, knowing when to move forward and when to pause, then I will be ready for the attack. 
  


God is not weak and small.  He says, “I’m right here, I’m with you, I will never leave you. So be ready and be uncomfortable, take your step with boldness because I did not give you a spirit of fear but of love, power and of sound mind.” 

Faith without works is dead. – James 2:17.



“When we feed our faith we starve our doubt.”
~Christine Caine


I have had a desire to move forward and I have had fear move in, but by staying close to Him and listening for Him, I heard Him loud and clear.  It is in the obedience that we will see Him.  He is with me every step of the way.  I just need to get out of my own way and keep putting one foot in front of the other and step into my calling that God as has given me. (read Joshua 1)

So, I’m expecting resistance and I’m digging deeper in His Word and I’m going to embrace the fear. I don’t know where this will all lead – but if I stay obedient to Him – He will show me and it will all work out for His glory. 





Is fear stopping you?  Are you afraid to get uncomfortable?  It is a battle, for sure – but a battle worth fighting - especially with Him on your side.  Take your first step into what God is calling you to do. 


“Faith in God doesn’t erase fear, anxiety, and confusion – it just overcomes them.”
~Jen Hatmaker






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati

Changed and Transformed ------ Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

It’s the day after Easter.   The kids are beginning to stir and wake.   I can hear them coughing and sneezing- allergies.   A new season is being born…beautiful blooms of flowers and trees busting open causes my peeps to be miserable.   The day after Easter - the Resurrection - a new hope…a new life…a new being born…all because of God’s Son.   All because of Jesus .    Anxiety and fear are my natural default.   As a kid I had so much anxiety in me before school days.   When I was in elementary school I was so afraid of a math tutor that I would have to go see…that one day I just hid in the stairwell thinking that I would stay there until it was time to go back to class.   I even heard my name being called over the speaker but never left the stairwell.    Jesus knows my name.      I’ve grown up but other things try to steal my peace. I was broken and starving for real food. Starving for The Bread of Life . I began to open up God’s Word and really