Skip to main content

Interrupted.... Viewing interruptions as invitations.




It’s after I tuck the last child into bed that I walk to my bedroom ready to crawl into my own bed with the book on my nightstand and exhale.  


This is my normal downtime at the end of the day.  I don’t know how long it is before I hear little feet walking towards my room…but I do know I haven’t even warmed my spot.

Another…goodnight and back to my book.  This will continue at least 3 more times…this getting interrupted.  I’m prepared for this because it happens every single night and I know that it will not happen forever but at the time…I think it will be forever.   I get annoyed.  I’m not perfect.  I’m all happy and sweet when we go to bed the first time but the over and over again - gets annoying and I become angry.
 



Jesus was interrupted a lot. My reactions are nowhere near how He reacted.  I get annoyed, angry, and say, “Just go to bed!”  I’m betting He would respond with love in His eyes, expressions and words.  In fact…He saw interruptions as invitations.  


I’m learning that to be more like Jesus…I need to be interrupted.  I need to pause before I leap.  I need to breathe before I speak.  I need to thank Him for the interruption…because my selfishness is beyond explanation.  


Today…my friend’s sister - she released her first book.  It’s about the loss of her son.  And I get upset at the interruption at bedtime? 

Instead of reacting in anger…I need to first thank Him.  


Romans 1:8 says, “First, I thank my God…”
 


 
First…I thank my God.  Second…I view it as an invitation to speak love and truth to my child.  Third...I make sure that I hear my child.  Because maybe what I see as an interruption may just be a little heart that needs for me to really hear what is going on.  Maybe I just need to SEE what it is that my child wants me to notice.  

The way I respond now will show my kids how to respond to their own interruptions.  What they see ME do…ultimately will be the way the react to their own lives.  I’ve seen it…I’ve seen their reactions to some things and really it is the mirror image of how I would respond.  




Like I said earlier…I’m learning.  I’m asking for grace on a daily basis.  I need to be giving grace to those around me.  God freely gives it to me…and this parent doesn’t always freely give it to her kids.




… He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 
(Philippians 1:6)
 


So I pause…give thanks for the interruptions.  Give thanks for the little feet walking – healthy little bodies – walking to their Mommy for comfort…for warmth…for the safety feeling…for one last kiss…for one last hug…for a kiss in the hand.  That security blanket for them is a divine invitation for me to give grace.  

Exhale and smile.

It’s all good…it’s all grace.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

A Raging Battle.... Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

On Sunday of this week, we started a new online Bible study with Proverbs 31!  I am so excited because I love anything Proverbs 31!  Our study this time around is by one of my favorite authors, Lysa TerKeurst….and her book, Made to Crave !  I have read this book already and it is amazing.  If you want to jump in on the study…please do!  Go here to sign up:  http://proverbs31.org/online-bible-studies/ This week for my blog topic I picked “A Raging Battle”   because food is not something I crave more than God…I crave other things.  God has shown me some things that I crave more than Him and it’s not pretty.  “My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord ; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.”  Psalm 84:2 For three years now I have been doing a 365 photo a day blog and last year I started writing every Thursday about my faith and whatever was on my heart.  I felt like this was something I was supposed to do.  When I

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati