Skip to main content

But When God.... { Day 240 }




“But when He who set me apart before I was born and called me by His grace was pleased to reveal Himself to me that I might…” ~Galatians 1:15



I’m parked right here with this verse because three words have captivated me…But when He.  These words are extremely powerful and I think about them in my own life.  



 
In this verse Paul states what God’s grace did for him…what He does for me.


1.     He was set apart.  I was set apart before I was born.

2.    He was “called” by God’s grace.  I am called by God’s grace.

3.    Jesus was revealed to him.  Jesus is revealed to me.


In the notes part of my Bible for this verse it says: “set me apart before I was born…the emphasis is again on God’s initiative: Paul was not called because of anything he himself accomplished.”

  


It’s not about what our accomplishments are…how many diplomas I have…or how many initials are behind my name.  Sure those are all good but God does not look at the things we look at…He looks at the heart.  He chooses us for our hearts and our obedience and it’s up to us to take the next step in faith.
 


If we just take a look at the people God handpicked to use for His works…we know that it isn’t about accomplishments.  

2 Timothy 1:9 says that God’s calling is by grace not according to our work.




If I think for a moment that it’s about my accomplishments in my life…then that nullifies what Jesus did on the cross.  I don’t have to climb the ladder to get to God because He comes down to me.  Jesus saved my life and He didn’t do it because I followed a set of rules.  No…I’m a mess and definitely have broken a lot of rules in my life.  No- He did it because He loves me.  The Cross is enough!  I don’t have to try harder.  I don’t have to do more.  I don’t have to be better.  Nope…I just have to TRUST and have FAITH in Jesus.
  

“Jesus is our ladder.  We don’t have to climb up because He comes down to us.”
 ~Ann Voskamp




But When God....

set me apart before I was born and called me by His grace…ME…the messed up me…the rule breaker me…the do it all on my own ME…when He set me apart and revealed His son Jesus to me---so that I can be formed into the image of His son and show others Jesus through me.  That is a BUT WHEN GOD moment.

God says, “Behold…I am doing a new thing!”

Yes…God does not look at the things we look at.  He looks at the heart.  Where is your heart?  <Speaking to myself>


But When God said to me, “Michelle it’s not about your past it’s about your willingness. I want to use you because of your obedience and because of your heart.  Trust me to go with you and finish the work I have started in you.  Trust me to develop you.  I have chosen you.”

  

“The Christian life is always, always on-the-job training.” ~Christine Caine


God has me where I am for a reason…He has always had a hand in my life.  He is working in me...shaping my heart and preparing me for the work He wants me to do. My job is to walk humbly, be obedient and carry it out. 
 


“God requires our obedience before our understanding.” ~Christine Caine


But When God…
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati

Palms Up! { Day 220 }

This week, I started a new Bible study with Proverbs 31 on a book called “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” by Lysa TerKeurst….and I’m excited for this study.  Really Excited!!   I haven’t always said Yes to God…in fact I have ignored Him and said no to Him a lot in my life.  Makes me sad to think of how many times I have been blind to all He has for me or to all the times He has tried to lead me in a different direction.  Fear and lack of confidence have always held me back from saying YES to Him.  Sometimes I think that I know which path is better for me to take and sometimes I feel like I could do it better.  Ouch!  Or sometimes I just feel like its too scary and I don’t like change too much.  Lysa TerKeurst talks in her book, “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” about “Surprise Parties” and how it must break God’s heart when He has planned something for us and we are too tired to notice, too blind to see or we just don’t even care.  How many parties hav