Skip to main content

Relationships, Sacrificing and Motherhood ---- Revisiting an older post of mine!!




“Relationship is the art of sacrifice that makes the days a masterpiece.”  ~Ann Voskamp

You know that saying, “Sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me?”  Well, this saying is so not true because words hurt.  Words that hurt can stick with you like glue for a long time.  You can believe these hurtful words…focus on these hurtful words until they become you.  And you know what?  They aren’t you!  They are just hurtful stupid words that you have believed.  We are defined by God and God alone!  God says, “Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone.”  God also says that in Christ, I am (and you are):
God’s Masterpiece (Eph. 2:10)

Forgiven (Eph 1:7)

A New Creature (2 Cor 5:17)

Strong in the Lord (Eph 6:10)

Accepted in Christ (Eph 1:6)

Chosen (Mt 22:14)

Called (1Thess 5:24)

Perfected Forever (Heb 10:14)

Sealed with the Spirit (2 Cor 1:22)

Complete in Christ (Cos 2:10)


In Lysa Terkeurst’s Book, Am I Messing up My Kids, she says, “You are exactly the mom God knew your children needed.”  Ahh…I loved this quote from the first time I read it.  I remember reading it right after I yelled at the kids and sent them to their rooms for fighting with each other about EVERYTHING!  I may have slammed a few doors in the process to try and get my point across that I was mad and they needed to stop.  Mommy guilt started to boil up in me and I opened Lysa’s book because she is real, honest and not afraid to share her mistakes to the world!  I love her because when I read her books—I can relate to her--- I think she is in my house sometimes.  


I mess up!  I am not the perfect mom or wife or person….but you know what?  God loves me and knows my heart.  God knows that I need Him every step of the way and I know that I need Him!  Say you’re sorry…ask for forgiveness.  It can be hard to do and hard to admit when you are wrong.  But, by doing so- I am teaching my children that Jesus is in my life.  Lysa TerKeurst says, “I live my faith out loud and up front so they (her kids) cannot miss that Christ is the center of our home.”  She also says, “But even when I fail with my attitude, I can see it as a chance to exemplify the reality of Jesus in how I handle my failure.  If I am quick to humble myself, ask for forgiveness, and model redemption, that speaks volumes to my kids as well about how real Jesus is in my life.”
We have to choose our words carefully---especially when it comes to our children.  They learn so much from us and will repeat what they see.



 
Toby Mac’s song –Speak Life---he says “Mountains crumble with every syllable…Hope can live or die---So Speak Life”  I love this song.  Speak Hope…Speak Love….Speak Life!  We can choose to use our words to inspire and love our children or we can use our tongue to break bones.  
Mountains can crumble.  Words can bring hope.  Speak life and love and hope.
Being a stay at home mom is a huge blessing for me…something I never want to take for granted.  It can be one of the hardest jobs but it can also be the most rewarding.  I started this blog off with Ann Voskamp’s quote: “Relationship is the art of sacrifice that makes the days a masterpiece.”  And when I read this I thought about what I sacrifice for my kids.  

Then I thought about Jesus’ sacrifice.  Matthew 16: 24-26 says, “Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?”


Sacrifice!  “Anything worth having has a price tag.  If you didn’t sacrifice for it, someone else did.” Rick Warren.
I want to teach my children to run hard after God while they are young.  So, that means that they need to see Jesus in me….in my actions…in my words…in my parenting.  We have moments with our children…building relationships with them and teaching them to build a relationship with God is important to me and I intend to take Jesus’ hand and follow his lead.  
 “I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the cross, since I know who I am.  Good works won’t get us through the gate.”  ~ Bono

1 Thessalonians 1:  “We remember before our God and Father your work produced by FAITH, your labor prompted by LOVE, and your endurance inspired by HOPE in our Lord Jesus Christ.”  This = motherhood to me!

Sticks and Stones?  Speak love.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

A Raging Battle.... Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

On Sunday of this week, we started a new online Bible study with Proverbs 31!  I am so excited because I love anything Proverbs 31!  Our study this time around is by one of my favorite authors, Lysa TerKeurst….and her book, Made to Crave !  I have read this book already and it is amazing.  If you want to jump in on the study…please do!  Go here to sign up:  http://proverbs31.org/online-bible-studies/ This week for my blog topic I picked “A Raging Battle”   because food is not something I crave more than God…I crave other things.  God has shown me some things that I crave more than Him and it’s not pretty.  “My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord ; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.”  Psalm 84:2 For three years now I have been doing a 365 photo a day blog and last year I started writing every Thursday about my faith and whatever was on my heart.  I felt like this was something I was supposed to do.  When I

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati