Skip to main content

Being a Mom is Tough - Proverbs 31 OBS - Blog Hop WEDNESDAY!!




This week starts a new Bible study with Proverbs 31 OBS.  We are reading Am I Messing Up My Kids by Lysa TerKeurst and this is a great book! 

 I have read this book before and am so excited to be doing this study.  Because honestly just because I’ve read this book before…I still feel like I’m a failure at this Mothering gig.


This week’s topic is “Being a Mom is Tough!”

I love how things line up because this week at church we talked about Parenting…and it fits perfectly with this study.




Being a Mom is tough…and there are days when it is so exhausting that I just want to curl up in my bed and hide.  Like today…the kids are building tents and one is stealing the others things causing them to fight.  I keep telling myself to stay out of it and let them handle it but it’s wearing on me. 


I do know that there are more rewarding days than hard and I find that on those harder days I am trying to do it all on my own
  
“He restores my soul…”  Psalm 23:3



My Pastor said this weekend that,“You don’t have what it takes, but you do have WHO it takes.” He is so right.  I don’t have what it takes to be a Mother…I don’t have the patience, the wisdom, the strength to do it…but I do have WHO it takes.  When I am being fed by His word…when I am living on the Bread of Life…He becomes my power source.  If my heart is right and God is my center…then I can give to my kids.  I can pour love, light and Jesus into them.  But when He is not at my center…I depend on MY strength and it all fails.

“Anything I do right as a mom is because of my constant dialogs with God.  Anything I do wrong as a mom is because of trying to do things in my own strength.”
 ~Lysa TerKeurst


As I was preparing for this study my daughter came to me and asked what I was doing.  I showed her the book and told her that we were getting ready to do this book as a Bible study.  She read the title and said, “Mommy, I hope you don’t think you are messing us up because you are the best Mommy in the whole world.  This title is wrong and it should not be the title.  Can we call Ms. Lysa and let her know that she needs to change this title?”  



I thought…wow.  I view myself as a failing Mom and my 10 year old views me way differently.  Even though this Mommy…just earlier…yelled at her for not being nice to her younger brother.  I was still carrying the guilt of yelling at her when I pulled the book out and she came in delivering a message I so needed to hear.  


“You are exactly the mom God knew your children needed.” ~Lysa TerKeurst 


Being a Mom is tough!  But knowing that I am getting some things right is medicine for my heart.  We have to communicate with God on a daily basis in order to look like Jesus.  Jesus took time to go to his Father every single day.  He needed it.  We need it. 


“Change begins with a spark of recognition within one’s heart.” 
~Rachel Macy Stafford
 


Mom’s we are not perfect….and will we never be.  But let’s remember that “my flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26  Let Him restore us because He is always with us.


“For You are with me.” ~Psalm 23:4


May I always remember that these two are gifts from God.  That they are my joy.  May I have an extra dose of patience from Him and more hugs for them when days get long and hard.  And when the fights begin – may I have a controlled tongue and the strength – His strength – to give them grace.  May I be the Mommy that shines Jesus to them in our messy lives.  May I remember to dance with them and ignore the to-do lists, laundry piles, dishes in the sink, social media blings, and whatever else takes me away…long enough to remember this moment.  This present moment.
  
  

Comments

  1. Loved it as I always do!! Really appreciated your pastors words, and my heart smiled at your daughter's comment!!! Good job Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!!!! A good reminder that often our kids don't even realize when we make messes... at least that's what I'm hoping =) Thanks for sharing!
    Lauren, P31 OBS blog hop team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it such an amazing thing to experience the unconditional love that our children lavish on us? It is so full of grace and forgiveness, and doesn't keep track of our mistakes. Such a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES...it is!! Thank you for stopping by!! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

A Raging Battle.... Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

On Sunday of this week, we started a new online Bible study with Proverbs 31!  I am so excited because I love anything Proverbs 31!  Our study this time around is by one of my favorite authors, Lysa TerKeurst….and her book, Made to Crave !  I have read this book already and it is amazing.  If you want to jump in on the study…please do!  Go here to sign up:  http://proverbs31.org/online-bible-studies/ This week for my blog topic I picked “A Raging Battle”   because food is not something I crave more than God…I crave other things.  God has shown me some things that I crave more than Him and it’s not pretty.  “My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord ; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.”  Psalm 84:2 For three years now I have been doing a 365 photo a day blog and last year I started writing every Thursday about my faith and whatever was on my heart.  I felt like this was something I was supposed to do.  When I

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati