Skip to main content

Palms Up! { Day 220 }




This week, I started a new Bible study with Proverbs 31 on a book called “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” by Lysa TerKeurst….and I’m excited for this study.  Really Excited!! 


 I haven’t always said Yes to God…in fact I have ignored Him and said no to Him a lot in my life.  Makes me sad to think of how many times I have been blind to all He has for me or to all the times He has tried to lead me in a different direction.  Fear and lack of confidence have always held me back from saying YES to Him.  Sometimes I think that I know which path is better for me to take and sometimes I feel like I could do it better.  Ouch!  Or sometimes I just feel like its too scary and I don’t like change too much.  Lysa TerKeurst talks in her book, “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” about “Surprise Parties” and how it must break God’s heart when He has planned something for us and we are too tired to notice, too blind to see or we just don’t even care.  How many parties have I missed because of fear? 

My Pastor said this weekend, “Don’t limit God by your small thinking.”  WOW…I do that.


One of my favorite songs right now is Oceans by Hillsong United.  The lyrics are amazing to me.  See below just a little snippet:


“You call me out upon the waters

The great unknown, where feet may fail

And there I find You in the mystery

In oceans deep, my faith will stand”



“Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders

Let me walk upon the waters

Wherever You would call me

Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander

And my faith will be made stronger

In the presence of my Savior”


In Matthew 14: 29--- Jesus tells Peter to come.  He’s telling Peter to get out of the boat and walk on water.  Peter steps out and begins to walk on water.  The winds pick up, the waves get stronger…he looks down and takes his eyes off of Jesus.  He starts to sink and cries out to Jesus to save him.  Jesus reaches out and catches him and says, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”
  

You Michelle…you of little faith.  Why did you doubt me? Why did you doubt that My way wasn’t THE way?



 “If you try to stand and face the wave, it will smash you to bits, but if you trust the water and let it carry you, there’s nothing sweeter.”  ~Shauna Niequist
  

Have you been in an ocean before?  Have you fought against the waves and been pushed around?  I have.  I don’t like to be IN the ocean.  I like to sit on the beach and look at the ocean.  But, I get in the ocean because I have a daughter that LOVES the ocean.  Once I relax and trust the water, the waves carry me.  I believe it is the same with Jesus.  Trust in Jesus…and He will carry you.  Fight against what He asks of you…and life gets hard.  Things don’t work out…you feel lost and discouraged.  Remember He lets you decide what to do…I just feel like when I go against Him…this life gets hard. But try saying, “Ok God…today, I say Yes to all that you have in store for me. Whatever it is...I say Yes to YOU.”  



Is it easy?  No.  Will your life all of a sudden become sweeter?  Probably not.  Because there will be some growth and growing can be painful.  But, by not doubting in Jesus and instead trusting in Him… you can step out in to oceans deep and your faith begins to grow.   


“When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate.  And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.”  ~Shauna Niequist

My palms are up and ready to receive all that He has in store for me!  What about you?


The God of the Universe wants to use me and you!  That’s kinda scary.  Do it afraid!  Do it with God-Confidence.



There are six words that sum up the Old and New Testaments…all the pages and verses in the Bible, according to Lysa TerKeurst in Chapter 1.  “Whatever God says do, do it!”



Last thing for today…A quote from Lysa TerKeurst: “The resolve of the human spirit is truly an amazing thing.  We will fight to the death for something we want to protect, truly believe in, or desire.  So why would we be lackadaisical about the most eternally significant relationship there is?”  Something to really think about!

Comments

  1. This post was really encouraging! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you Sarah...so glad it was encouraging to you. :)

      Delete
  2. I love that yours was the first button I clicked on! I too am a photographer. I love the post! Thank you for sharing! I have said No to Him more times than I care to count in the past. But, today I am saying Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that connection!! :) Me too on the No thing! Daily Obedience right? Saying yes right along with you and doing it afraid! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the post! First, your photographs are beautiful!! Second, the comments you made from the book are the things that really struck me--especially the party where the guest of honor isn't interested. It was a different perspective on following God that I hadn't thought of before. And with your pastor's comments--don't you love when all of it comes together like that!?

    Kris Danko (OBS Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...thank you Kris! Yes...I so love when it all comes together. When He speaks and I actually listen and take notice! Thank you for your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I loved this! Thank you. I grew up next to the ocean, but am far from it now. The water has always been a comfort to me, and your connections to it today really gave me comfort!

    I too have been pulled out, and fought the waves that did so, but I soon learned to stop fighting and work with them. Amazing how much easier it was, when I worked with them. Though, I'm more like your daughter, I love to be in the water as well as watching! ;)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy...I'm so grateful that this post gave you comfort. Posting these kinds of posts are new to me and way out of my comfort zone. Thankful to Him for pushing me on!! I always have to remind myself to let go and just let the waves carry me. Eyes on Jesus! :) Happy Thursday!

      Delete
    2. I love/hate when He pushes me outside of that good ol' comfort zone! Have a happy Thursday yourself. :D

      Delete
  6. Love your post & blog! So encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle - this was beautiful. I love the depiction of walking against the waves in the ocean and when you just let the waves take you, life is so much easier. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this post and I LOVE this site. I look forward to reading/seeing more of your posts.
    Bless you.
    Love
    Nicki
    PS. I followed you from the P31OBS blog hop and I'd love you to check out my blog here:
    http://nickiedwards.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/she-said-yes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicki =) And thank you for sharing your blog. Heading over there now!! =)

      Delete
  9. I love your analogy with the waves. I grew up just a few blocks from the beach. Can't tell you how many times we'd be playing in the waves, letting the water carry us along. Next thing we knew, we had been carried way down the beach from where we started. I think it can be like that with God... if we'd just quit arguing & trust Him, we'll be amazed at just how far we can go, where we end up & what we can accomplish through Him. Thanks for posting!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! So true...how far we can go if we trust in Him. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati