Skip to main content

Day 185---Control Freak and Worrier.



Proverbs 16:9 “In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.”



Confession: I’m a mess…I’m a control freak.  I try to control my life and my children’s lives.  How do I let go of being a control freak when I have these little lives to worry about?  How do I trust and let go…to let God control us without the fear and anxiety that I typically have when I think of my children and their future?  I’m all tangled up in this life and to trust…to let go and let God?  A hard thing to do.  So hard especially when my constant default is to worry and to control…control them and me.  Because I feel like if I am in “control” then I can protect them and shelter them from the bad things in this world.  Don’t get me wrong…I’m not talking about parenting…but to let go and trust that He has us and that He will use everything to transform me and them into the image of His son (because that is what He says He will do)…I need to remember.  Daily!  Sometimes- minute to minute. 
 
Last week, when I wrote about Martha, Mary and Dancing with God….Martha was a bit of a control freak as well- I think.  I mean she flat out told Jesus to tell Mary to help her! She didn’t ask Jesus she told Jesus.

In everything give thanks.  This is what Jesus says to do.  When I look at Jesus’ life…he wasn’t running around making people follow him, he didn’t demand anyone to choose him, he wasn’t controlling everyone, and he wasn’t afraid and anxious before his crucifixion.  He takes the bread and gives thanks.  He takes time to have quiet time with God.  He gets away from it all and sits with his Father to focus.  He listens and trusts Him.  He responds to people with love, patience, grace and kindness.  The fruits of the spirit.


 


Can I trust God to transform everything---the mess of me---into something good?  Yes!  I may have to remind myself of this a lot though.  My pastor made a comment a couple of weeks ago that stuck with me.  He said that, “Sometimes you have to be in the fire to see Jesus.” 

Can I take these moments…trust God in them and frame the moments of my life?  Yes! Ann Voskamp says, “Remember: You have to want to see the well before you can drink from it.  You have to want to see joy, God in the moment.”  If I don’t do this…does it mean that I am rejecting God?  Ugh

I take pictures daily because I want to see the light in these moments of my life.  There are dark parts but there are lighter moments if I stop and look.  God brings light into the moments of our lives.  Snapshots of the beauty around us. 
 

I’m not in control. If I try to control my life or my children’s lives…it’s going to be a hard road.  We are given the choice to follow God and in order to change from control freak and worrier to letting go and trusting – I have to choose Jesus first.  My pastor said this week that “change is like remodeling or renovating a house.  It takes time and it gets messy.  It’s not instant.”  Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.”

Trust.
Let Go of Control…Because I am not in control.
Patience.
Jesus.

My life verse is Jeremiah 29:11.  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  You would think that I would remember this but like I said earlier…my constant default is to worry and control.  This is a daily focus for me.  Jesus. 



I love this quote by Susie Larson…“It’s hard to step out of the boat when you’re anchored to your fears.”  Maybe I love it because it’s me…it is so so true!  Sometimes I think…but this boat is comfy and cozy and out there…is different.  Change can be good but it can also be a scary thing. 

“Step out of the boat Michelle…let go of your fears Michelle.  Trust in Me Michelle.  Drop the control freak act Michelle.”  I kinda think this is what God says to me. 


Here are some verses that can remind me and you that God is in control:

Proverbs 19:21Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”


Matthew 19:26  “Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”


Joshua 1:9Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”


Isaiah 55: 8-11 “I don’t think the way you think. The way you work isn’t the way I work.”
        God’s Decree:
“For as the sky soars high above earth,
    so the way I work surpasses the way you work,
    and the way I think is beyond the way you think.
Just as rain and snow descend from the skies
    and don’t go back until they’ve watered the earth,
Doing their work of making things grow and blossom,
    producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry,
So will the words that come out of my mouth
    not come back empty-handed.
They’ll do the work I sent them to do,
    they’ll complete the assignment I gave them.”  ~The Message


Job 12:10 “In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.”
 


Happy 4th of July!  Be Safe! 

Comments

  1. I love the quote about being hard to step out of the boat when you are anchored to your fears...this is totally me, and I watch my little girl struggle with it too at such an early age...I pray for guidance on how to help her and be less fearful and more faithful myself! Thanks Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kathy...It is one of my favorite quotes! I totally relate to it as well. Praying for guidance for you and me! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worry? Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

  This week's blog topic from Proverbs 31 OBS is on “Worry”… AND I know a thing or two about worry.  I’m betting a lot of you reading this do as well.  Dictionary.com defines worry as: “ to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. ” Torment oneself.  Suffer.  Fret.  That’s what I can do to myself sometimes.   I’ve heard that if you worry you don’t really trust that God can handle it.  You don’t trust God with it.  That’s hard to swallow for me.  Because I worry about my kids, my family, me, friends, etc.  But I’m in the Bible every single day.  I am a Jesus girl.  So for me to worry and then see that my worry means I don’t trust that God can handle it is hard.  UGH.   I am getting better about it though.  My time with God every morning is helping.  When I start to worry about something…I begin to pray.  I stop the tormenting in its tracks and give it to Jesus.  Now, I may have to give it to Jesus more than once. 

A Raging Battle.... Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop

On Sunday of this week, we started a new online Bible study with Proverbs 31!  I am so excited because I love anything Proverbs 31!  Our study this time around is by one of my favorite authors, Lysa TerKeurst….and her book, Made to Crave !  I have read this book already and it is amazing.  If you want to jump in on the study…please do!  Go here to sign up:  http://proverbs31.org/online-bible-studies/ This week for my blog topic I picked “A Raging Battle”   because food is not something I crave more than God…I crave other things.  God has shown me some things that I crave more than Him and it’s not pretty.  “My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord ; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.”  Psalm 84:2 For three years now I have been doing a 365 photo a day blog and last year I started writing every Thursday about my faith and whatever was on my heart.  I felt like this was something I was supposed to do.  When I

Running on Empty --- Proverbs 31 OBS Blog Hop Day

It’s the middle of summer and I feel like I am running on empty.  Ever feel that way?  The pace of summer is supposed to relax me but these past couple of days…I feel tired and done.  Right now- I don’t believe my life is telling the story of God’s grace.  Oh, I know His grace is all around me…He gives me grace D A I L Y.  But…am I giving grace to others?  No…not really because I am empty…drained…exhausted.  In fact, I told my kids that it would be an early bedtime last night because Mommy was done...that Mommy was on empty…that I had nothing more to give and we needed to just go to bed. <Insert Mommy guilt> I need to be filled up.  I want to be filled but I keep going through the motions of my day to day activities.  Depending on my own strength is draining me and causing me to say, “I have nothing more to give!”  When really…I do.  The other day, my daughter had a trail ride and as I stood in a big open field and looked out at God’s creati